30 August 2016

Ten years -- a bit of blowing my own horn

Some blogs such as Crazy Eddie and Politics Plus post regular digests of their statistics, which give a glimpse of what interests their readers and where those readers are drawn from.  I haven't ever done that, but having just reached my ten-year anniversary, I took a look back at the whole history of the blog via the stat counter, out of curiosity.  (Actually the stat counter doesn't go back the whole ten years, but readership earlier than that was very low, so it's pretty representative.)


Most-viewed posts -- the top ten posts in number of page views were:

#10 Demographic delusion.  My tenth-most-viewed post was one of the few political ones on the list, refuting a right-wing claim that turned out not to be particularly lasting or widespread.

#9 The reason for the season.  Christmas is an ancient Persian and Roman holiday with a few pagan Germanic trimmings -- nothing to do with Jesus.  Who knew this would strike a nerve?

#8 The religion of exclusion.  The Christian Right campaign to shun gays is a loser whether they win or not.  Glad to see this attracted attention.

#7 Obamacare will be a disaster -- for the Republicans.  From late 2013.  With all due modesty, I think it's turning out to be an accurate forecast.

#6 Quotes for the day:  funnyman and freedom fighter.  A brief tribute to British satirist Rowan Atkinson was my sixth-most-viewed post.  Some "big" site must have linked to it, though that completely escaped my notice at the time.

#5 What the NRA gets right -- and wrong.  Many fellow liberals don't like what I have to say about guns, but at least a fair number of people found this worth a look.

#4 The fury of wingnuts scorned.  From just before the 2012 election, which the poll-unskewing righties were still convinced they were going to win.  Perhaps readers stopped by for a little before-the-fact gloating?

#3 I hate this man.  Not at all my best work, but somebody on Reddit linked to it, and that made it my third-most-viewed post ever.

#2 Long war, decisive battle.  One of my posts on the deeper issues, and the one I'm most glad to see was popular.

#1 Cultural nationalism.  It surprised me a bit that this was my most-viewed post ever, but it's not a bad one to have in that position.  It does make some important points which I don't see widely expressed.

If I had to choose just one post on this blog as being the most worth reading in my own opinion, it would probably be The culture war is world-wide, though it didn't make the most-viewed list.  I've written a total of 3,208 posts, but frankly that number is much inflated by the fact that early on, whenever I found something interesting on the net, I'd do a one-liner post just linking to it.  That's why I now do the weekly link round-ups.  I almost never go looking for things to include in them; rather, I'm always running across items of interest, and the round-ups let me pass them along without cluttering up the blog with innumerable one-liner posts.


Top traffic sources -- The top ten sites from which people came here were:

#10 Yahoo search

#9 Google Canada

#8 Reddit

#7 Vampirestat.com -- I'd never heard of this, and it doesn't seem to exist any more

#6 Google UK

#5 Horizons

#4 Progressive Eruptions

#3 Infidel753 itself -- I guess this means people were viewing the main page and clicked on something else on the blog

#2 Crooks and Liars -- doubtless because I'm regularly linked at the "Mike's Blog Round Up" feature

#1 Google

Notice that #5 and #4 are one-person blogs just like this one.  Bloggers' links to other sites do make a difference!  The top ten Google search terms that brought people here were:

#10: "important things that happened in 2006"
#9 "infidels 753"
#8 "calenche ranae manos" (?????)
#7 "things that happened in 2006"
#6 "infidel 753"
#5 "arthropod"
#4 "title"
#3 "eurypterid"
#2 "eurypterids"
#1 "infidel753"

#5, #3, and #2 are explained here, and I guess a lot of people see something I've written elsewhere on the net (I use the name "Infidel753" almost everywhere) and look me up.  Aside from that, I'm baffled by these.


Readers by country -- the top ten countries from which I've had page views:

#10 China
#9 Poland
#8 Australia
#7 Canada
#6 Ukraine
#5 Germany
#4 United Kingdom
#3 France
#2 Russia (probably meaningless)
#1 United States (58% of total page views)

China is the most surprising entry, given its government restrictions on the internet and relatively low per-capita computer access, plus the fact that I seldom write anything relevant to that country.  The UK, Canada, and Australia are the most populous foreign countries where English is the main native language, so I'm not surprised to see them on the list.  France and Germany are rich, internet-savvy countries where many people can read English (though I'm a little surprised that I've had more views from France than from the UK), and Ukraine and Poland have been getting more that way since the Soviet Empire fell.  I may well have some actual readers in Russia, but it's hard to tell how many.

I'd be curious to know what other bloggers' readership patterns are like.

15 Comments:

Blogger Paul W said...

Interesting read.

I do check the stats on my blogs, especially whenever there's a massive spike on viewership - it turns out some spambot from Russia or China is hitting my site within a ten-minute period but NOT viewing a specific article, which freaks me out - but otherwise I like to see who and where the viewership is coming from. The first time I showed up in Crooks & Liars at the Mike's Blog Round Up was a big thrill.

I should present my Top Ten as well, good idea.

30 August, 2016 04:12  
Blogger Rosa Rubicondior said...

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Here's to the next ten years!

30 August, 2016 10:56  
Blogger Comrade Misfit said...

Happy blogiversary (if that's even a word).

Five more years to the big metal chicken!

30 August, 2016 12:46  
Anonymous Jack Cluth said...

Congratulations! I'm coming up on 15 years myself; it's always good to know there's some of the Old Guard left. :-)

30 August, 2016 13:58  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

Congratulations. Your in-depth analyses are always informative and very much appreciated.

I started my blog in 2005, but ran into a glitch around 2007, deleted it, then set it up again in 2007.

I got into reading blogs in 2003 from an article in the New York Times by Paul Krugman who mentioned Atrios's blog, Eschaton. I started reading it then and commenting as Shaw Kenawe. I still keep in touch with the original Eschatonians through facebook. I even held a "Bostonian Eschatonian" party in 2007 for those of us in the New England area.

The best part of blogging is finding other bloggers, such as Infidel753.

30 August, 2016 18:21  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks everyone!

I agree, finding other interesting blogs is one of the best things about this. And now I'll have to keep going for at least another five years, if only to find out what the "big metal chicken" entails.

31 August, 2016 05:33  
Blogger W. Hackwhacker said...

Thanks for your quality work over the years, Infidel, and for giving some of us other bloggers working in the weeds a lift! You're a brother!

31 August, 2016 10:41  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks!

01 September, 2016 05:22  
Blogger Ahab said...

Infidel -- Happy anniversary. May you blog for many happy years to come.

Don't you know? Giant metal chickens are perfect 15th anniversary gifts, thanks to the Bloggess: http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/21/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/

01 September, 2016 19:43  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Congratulations on your blog "INFOdel"... you are an "actual" writer, and you cover alot of interests as far as versatility, so that makes a difference ... I actually thought your 10 year anniversary was a couple years ago though, my time is a little screwed up. As for my blog, I cant even tell you off hand, what was most viewed I guess or whatever, or who in Hell views it, it get a few comments from folks like you from time to time, once in a while someone will bring up my blog to me locally here around Dallas, etc ... I think my favourite part of blogging would have to be my music section though.

02 September, 2016 06:35  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Ahab: So that's what it is -- well, being more into Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I'd probably have more use for the towels.....

Ranch: You've had some interesting stuff in your music posts. I used to post more music -- I need to get back to more variety instead of %$#@&!# Trump 24/7.

02 September, 2016 16:09  
Blogger Pinku-Sensei said...

Congratulations on ten years of blogging! I'm flattered to be mentioned as an example of posting regular digests of my statistics and of playing a minor part in inspiring you to write this entry.

As for "eurypterids" being the second most used search term for your blog, I'm envious. Mine is "game of thrones dungeons and dragons." I'm the paleontologist and you get the traffic for a prehistoric animal? Of course, it might help if I actually blogged more about extinct organisms. Most of my posts with the paleontology label are about the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies.

05 September, 2016 11:29  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

You're a paleontologist? That had slipped by me. Well, feel free to borrow the eurypterids -- perhaps they'll prove a critter of good internet fortune for you as well.

05 September, 2016 17:03  
Blogger Pinku-Sensei said...

Yes, I'm a paleontologist. As I wrote on LiveJournal nine years ago, "I am the world's expert on the fossil snails and clams of Rancho La Brea. Seriously. Of course, that and $1.60 plus tax will get me a tall coffee at Starbucks. It's still my claim to scientific fame." I've since updated how much a grande Starbucks coffee costs and the boast to "Yes, I was the first person to identify 33 species from the most famous fossil deposit in North America. That, and $1.65 plus tax will get me a tall coffee at Starbucks. :-)" As I wrote, I really need to write about fossils more at my current blogging home. I might start with the eurypterids and that image, which is from "Swimming with Sea Monsters."

06 September, 2016 12:28  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I'd definitely be interested in a fossil snail post. And I'm glad you also appreciate Lady Gaga.

06 September, 2016 18:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home