19 December 2008

We told you so

Obama's choice of an anti-abortion, anti-gay Christianist wackjob to deliver the "invocation" at his inaugural seems to have finally begun the slow process of awakening the less deeply hypnotized to the fact that the Messiah is not quite what they made themselves believe him to be.

Daily Kos: Was there some reason the transition team couldn't find someone who wasn't a homophobe?.....What a spit in the eye to the GBLT community in particular, and to anyone who supports equality, dignity and justice under the law.

Americablog: Barack Obama just said to LGBT Americans that we're not part of that event. Thanks.....Maybe we're expendable now. Obama's brain trust has decided he needs new friends. So have fun with Rick Warren. If he's there on January 20th, I won't be. And, unlike Rick Warren, I actually worked hard to get Obama elected. It's weird and disturbing. I'd expect George Bush to have a homophobe on the stage. But Obama? That's not the kind of change I expected, and it's not change I can believe in.

The Impolitic: I've been willing to swallow a lot of distaste for some of Obama's choices in the transition phase, but this is really going too far.....I get that Obama wants to reach out to the opposition and all that, but this really is a slap in the face to all the sane Christians who supported him. Not to mention, the progressives and those in the gay and lesbian community.

Liardogfake: President-elect Obama chose eliminationist hate preacher Rick Warren to give the invocation at Obama's Inaguration. With this choice, Obama sends three destructive messages. Number one: In Obama's America, equal rights and reproductive freedom aren't for everyone. Number two: President-elect Obama likes sharing the national stage with hate. Number three: While Obama enjoys his equality before the law, LGBT Americans can go to Hell. Literally. Gee. Is this change we can believe in? Does Obama's America include GLBT's, along with the fundamentalists who want to take away their rights?

And even the arch-cultist Andrew Sullivan: Rick Warren will give the invocation at Obama's inauguration. Warren is a man who believes my marriage removes his freedom of speech and cannot say that authorizing torture is a moral failing. Shrewd politics, but if anyone is under any illusion that Obama is interested in advancing gay equality, they should probably sober up now.

More here, here, here, here, and at many other places, doubtless with much more to come -- quite a number of the most hard-core cultists haven't posted anything about this yet. Inevitably, there are those who try to justify this or explain it away, usually as an example of Obama's "inclusiveness" and "reaching out" (if a white liberal President-elect had chosen a KKK preacher for such a role, in an effort to be "inclusive" of anti-black bigots and opponents of interracial marriage, the very same people who are offering these pathetic rationalizations would quite rightly be going apeshit over it). But Rick Warren isn't going to be the last wake-up call.

We told you so. Yes, we have every right to say it. We spent most of this year warning you about Obama. You stuck your fingers in your ears and refused to listen. Well, at this point that's no longer an option. You are going to keep on and on getting your noses rubbed in exactly what you did when you abandoned the tried-and-true known quantity (and prospective first woman President at that) for a charismatic enigma. And I'm going to be there every step of the way, telling you each time: We told you so. Vote in haste, repent at leisure.

9 Comments:

Blogger Logistics Monster said...

This is the only part of the whole f***ed up mess that I can enjoy. "Stop Whining" "It's On You!" "Own It!" are my diatribes!!!!

Thanks for the great post and links.

19 December, 2008 07:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a free country so you can do what you want, but I resent that you link to me and call me a cultist.

You strike me as an anonymous coward who won't ever risk or hope anything, but are quite content to tsk tsk tsk and give us all your told-you-so nonsense.

19 December, 2008 18:09  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I didn't call you a cultist. You, by contrast, have endorsed comparing Sarah Palin to "the woman in The Handmaid's Tale who holds you down while they fuck you", a disgusting slur which, to my knowledge, you have never retracted.

Since you used to be a regular reader, you know I'm a very optimistic person and have hopes for many things (and have taken risks for what I believed in). I had high hopes for this election. The stupid Obama cult wrecked them, and now we're all stuck with the consequences.

I did tell you so, and I repeat, I'm fully entitled to say it.

19 December, 2008 18:39  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

An interesting note: so far a total of four Obama supporters have written comments on this posting (one of which I let through moderation -- see above). Not one of them actually addressed any of the actual specific things I said in the posting -- not one of them even so much as mentioned Rick Warren! Instead, all of them framed the issue as my insistence on talking about the Messiah's flaws being something wrong with me -- "lighten up", "get over it" -- you know the drill. It's psychoanalyzing the messenger instead of engaging with the facts which the messenger merely describes.

Such people have simply abandoned their ability to engage with the real world.

Nevertheless, in its way this posting is a hopeful one. The fact that the people I linked and quoted -- and many others -- are expressing disappointment and dismay over this shows that they, at least, are capable of being reached by data from the real world even if the hard-core cultists are not. They, at least, are showing signs of waking up from their hypnotic state, even if it's too late from the viewpoint of the election.

For those who are still in denial, I repeat what I said: "You are going to keep on and on getting your noses rubbed in exactly what you did when you abandoned the tried-and-true known quantity (and prospective first woman President at that) for a charismatic enigma." But don't worry -- I'm not going to keep rubbing your noses in the gigantic dump you took on our country when you helped rob Hillary of the nomination.

Obama is going to do that.

20 December, 2008 06:46  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Greeting's Mr.Infidel. I must comment on this...because I think this is rather silly.Why? Because this character Warren was chosen to say a simple prayer is all. I am not xtian...or spiritual,or even religious in any stretch of the imagination..I look at religion as destructive nonsense. But I have listened to Warren...and understand his opinion and opposition to same sex marriage...but I dont nearly compare him to the KKK or even folk's like Hitler or such...this is silly and blown way out of proportion I think..mostly by folk's it appear's that just are upset with Obama getting elected. No...I never joined the "cult" that folk's talk about (Obamawama's or whatever their called)but I did vote for him as the best choice for America, I actually still thnk so,even though he is human and will make a mistake or two...but this being a mistake? I dont see that at all. I feel Obama has displayed a type of bipartisanship that is actually needed in this country and long overdue..and I dont see Rev.Warren as a "bad man" regardless if I dont agree with him or not.And a prayer is what? We have this way of seeing everything as left/right etc.I feel at times that the folk's in ancient Rome were more understanding on this and liberated than us at times. We will never get anything accomplished staying at each other's throat's for life. I am 110% for SS mairrage,and even for incest marriage,multiple marriages, and even teen and adult marriage or just about any kind of marriage that anyone think's of. Marriage is something that meant many different thing's in many cultures and era's throughout human history as I have posted in my post's on "What is gay marriage?...another form of marriage".In other word's there has been many kind's of marriages throughout many societies. But Obama making a mistake by choosing Warren? I dont see a thing wrong with the choice..I see it as being very open minded and bipartisan if anything. But that's just my redneck Texan opinion as well. :)
Thanx guy!

20 December, 2008 06:48  
Blogger Christy said...

Before I write anything, I'd like to say I am pro-Gay marriage, pro-Gay everything.

Rick Warren is entitled to his opinion and a place at the "table".

I don't agree that we can quite equate his opposition to gay marriage to a white liberal president having a KKK member do the invocation.

There are plenty of sane people who don't hate gays that think of marriage something like the Flag--a symbol and easily defiled.

I disagree. I think you should be able to burn, wear, laugh at--whatever the flat.

But I don't mind hearing from them.

Now, granted, burning a flag doesn't affect the rights of anyone--maybe their sensibilities.

I think that Melissa Ethridge made a good point when she said that it was never the intent of the founding fathers to have a direct vote on the rights of a minority.

Here's your problem, here's your fight--Rick Warren is one man, with one vote.

Making him a standard bearer is buying into the same kind of "spin" and image and bullshit that I believe you are fighting against.

I am sick of people saying that one human "represents" any other human.

It just isn't true.

Now, if he prays and espouses some homophobic bullshit? I'm on him like ugly on a dog.

20 December, 2008 18:41  
Blogger Christy said...

I also believe that while I'm Pro-Choice, there are sane people on both sides of the abortion issue.

I can share a podium with them.

In a related issue, I haven't been a fan of the current administration's foreign policy tactics.....bullying, shunning.

I think we are not herd animals and don't have to resort to essentially humping people we are opposed to unless someone is severly mentally unbalanced--verifiably.

So much drama when there is a real crisis.

Wasted time on both sides, crying foul and saying I told you so.

But these are blogs, and wasted time is our only commodity.....LOL

Guilty, as charged!!!!

20 December, 2008 18:56  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

RC -- See the last two paragraphs of the posting, and note that the people who are shocked and upset about the Warren choice -- certainly the ones I quoted -- are Obama supporters, not people who are upset that he was elected. I am not shocked, because I knew all along that Obama was a chameleon and a backstabber. These supporters of his are just now starting to realize that. Some, of course, still cling to denial.

Christy -- The point is what the Warren choice says about Obama. For an important and high-profile symbolic role, he chose a man who preaches bigotry and intolerance against an oppressed subgroup of our society which has already just suffered a brutal, devastating attack by the forces of religious bigotry in California. He could have chosen any preacher in the country, but this is the choice he made. This speaks volumes about what kind of man he is. That's my point.

Of course, this is merely the latest in a long series of betrayals by Obama which has been very obvious to all those who have not wilfully blinded themselves to reality (as eloquently expressed here); what's different this time is that a large number of long-time Obama supporters -- such as the people I quoted -- are finally waking up to the truth of what their Messiah really is.

21 December, 2008 05:54  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Heh,heh,heh...I loved that expression of Ms.Christy .."I'm on him like ugly on a dog" ..you go girl! :)

21 December, 2008 08:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home