24 April 2008

A personal note

Long-time readers have probably noticed that over the last couple of months, my postings have become fewer and farther between. The reason is quite simple.

I live in an apartment, and the new neighbors in the unit on one side of me like to play loud music. As readers can tell from the time stamps on most of my postings, I'm an "early to bed, early to rise" kind of guy. I usually get home from work around 7:00 and go to sleep around 9:00, seldom even turning on the computer in between. My creative time is in the morning.

My new neighbors have rendered this lifestyle impossible. I am routinely woken up not only at 10:00 or 11:00, but sometimes even well after midnight. Five written complaints to the building management have produced only rather meager and temporary improvements in the situation. One afternoon a couple of weeks ago, I actually had to ask the boss at my job to let me go home early on the grounds that drowsiness due to loss of sleep the previous night was making it impossible to concentrate on my work -- something I have never previously done in my entire life. Besides loss of sleep, the situation has led to stress, headaches, and irritability which I daily struggle to avoid venting at people around me.

There is, of course, an obvious solution -- and I've been pursuing it. But apartment vacancies in the Portland area are rare (don't get me started on the idiotic policies of the local "planner class" which have discouraged new apartment construction), and I've been focusing on a particular part of the city in hopes of shortening my commute. This week I received a quasi-offer of a new home that sounds ideal, but won't be available for move-in until early June.

So the Infidel will be back at full power in the future -- it just won't be for a few more weeks. Until then, posting will likely be sporadic. I need to sleep when I can.

7 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Oh no - that stinks. I am so sorry to hear about that.

Well hang in there, I sure hope you can find a new place soon. Early June can seem far away from any sleep deprived perspective.

Knowing so little about you, but knowing how you feel about health and life, I bet you are really struggling with this.

Beyond your health, it is just a sad commentary on communal life... So much of our society is based upon getting one's way with absolutely zero regard for another.

No place is that ever more clear than in an apartment setting.

While your posting may be light, it will continue to be awaited for and then read, by me.

25 April, 2008 03:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that sucks. Probably not the best thing for your ears, but have you tried earplugs? Might help in the meantime.

Good luck with the apt. hunting.

25 April, 2008 08:25  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the place works out, the move goes well, and you're able to get some sleep soon. Bad neighbors really suck.

Maybe some good earplugs will help in the meantime? I don't know how comfortable they would be to sleep in though.

25 April, 2008 10:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the move goes well. Bad neighbors can make life miserable.

25 April, 2008 15:42  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks for the kind words. The place I've (tentatively) got will, I think, be very good for me once I can move there -- it's just too bad the wait will be so long. But considering how hard it is finding apartments in Portland, I was lucky to get it.

I did buy a pair of those sound-deadening earmuffs made for people who work in noisy jobs, but they're less effective than I'd hoped. I suppose I should give earplugs a try.

25 April, 2008 17:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame on the neighbors! Why is it so hard for some people to realize they aren't the only ones in the vicinity? Earplugs are a great suggestion. But you shouldn't have to wear anything on your ears (how can that be comfortable?) when you go to bed. If you called the police (non-emergency), that would probably light a fire under the landlord to actually do something lasting about the noise.

25 April, 2008 20:47  
Blogger tina FCD said...

Ohhh don't get me started on bad neighbors...I have the same problem.

27 April, 2008 15:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home